Search This Blog

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Titles


I am a writer, and most often, a poet. Titles are essential to me, but often, I can't find one. It needs to be catchy, it needs to be profound. It defines what you are about to read or reject reading. It should intrigue the reader
and consequently, make the reader enjoy the piece I've written. Sometimes, titles are stubborn and just won't materialize. At other times, they effortly appear before the writing has commenced and direct the piece by their simple presence.

Why "Rugs & Bones"? It's the title of a song I once wrote with my old writing partner, Bill Fuller, whose band (at the time) turned it into a hipster recitation, complete with insturmental whooshing. "Rugs & Bones" implies a certain anthropology of thought, an archeology of discovery, whether within or in the world. Everyone has rugs and bones in their life, and in their intellect and spirit, too.

This blog will have plenty of rugs and bones. Drawing a few lessons and hopefully many poems from these thoughts. That's right, rugs and bones!

1 comment:

  1. As always you make my heart smile and my face light up with joy!

    ReplyDelete